Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has been criticised for her absence and comments made following a vigil held in memory of Cassius Turvey – the 15-year-old Noongar-Yamatji boy allegedly killed in a racially motivated attack in Perth last month.
Cassius was walking home from school with friends when Jack Steven James Brearley, 21, allegedly jumped out of a car and bashed the teenager with a metal pole on October 13.
He suffered serious head injuries and died in hospital 10 days later.
More than 40 rallies and vigils were held across the country on Wednesday to mourn the teenager and call for justice. When asked why she didn’t attend Brisbane’s peaceful rally, Ms Palaszczuk told reporters she did not receive an invite.
“There was no invitation received in my office. It’s a matter for the West Australian police,” the Premier said.
Speaking at media conference on Friday, Kooma man and rally organiser, Uncle Wayne ‘Coco’ Wharton said if the Palaszczuk government is serious about a treaty with First Nations people, the premier needs to show compassion to the Aboriginal community nationally.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was invited to meet with Uncle Coco and broader First Nations community but did not attend the press conference conference in Brisbane’s Musgrave Park on Friday