The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has confirmed the federal government will not legislate an Indigenous Voice to Parliament if this weekend’s referendum falls through.
Speaking on the ABC on Sunday Mr Albanese said the government would honour Australia’s decision.
“If Australians vote no, I don’t believe that it would be appropriate to then go and say, ‘Oh, well, you’ve had your say, but we’re going to legislate anyway’.”
It comes after leading ‘Yes’ campaigner Noel Pearson told Melbourne’s 3AW radio last week there is “No plan B” if the voice referendum is unsuccessful.
He also told ABC RN last week a no result would be a “travesty” and Australia would never “live it down.”
While Federal Deputy Opposition Leader Susan Ley says both outcomes of the referendum would be detrimental.
“It’s a lose-lose whatever the result is on Saturday.
It will be bad, divisive and unhappy for Australians the next day, so we do need to bring the country together.
It is just so important that the day after we come together as a country.”
This week also marks the final push for both side’s campaigns, as the country prepares to vote on Saturday.
According to polling data in The Australian’s NewsPoll, support for the Voice is still trailing behind with 34 per cent of respondents saying they supported the constitutional change, with 58 per cent opposing it and 8 per cent unsure.
And a resolve poll conducted by the Sydney Morning Herald found 56 per cent of respondents opposed the Voice and 44 per cent supported it, which was one per cent more than last month.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese is making his final rounds on free to air television to help sway the vote.
AAP reports Mr Albanese has also flagged he will be campaigning nationwide for the yes vote.
He will be heading to regional centres such as Broken Hill and Port Lincoln, along with stops at Uluru, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Hobart and Sydney.