Alcohol restrictions in Alice Springs will be extended for at least the next 12 months, the Northern Territory government has announced.
The takeaway alcohol restrictions were first introduced in January in response to rising alcohol-related violence and crime in the central Australian town.
The restrictions include a limit on bottle shop trading hours and takeaway alcohol-free days on Monday and Tuesday.
Chief Minister Natasha Fyles said the restrictions have been having a positive impact, citing a sharp drop in harm to the community since their introduction.
Minister Fyles said the measures will be reviewed ‘at some point in the future’.
Blanket alcohol bans were also re-imposed on Aboriginal communities across the NT in February after the government allowed previous bans to lapse last year.