Doomadgee began broadcasting on 14 May 1992 as part of the original Broadcasting to Remote Aboriginal Communities Scheme.
Doomadgee is situated in Northwest Queensland, 100 km inland from the Gulf of Carpentaria, 514 km north of Mount Isa and 141 km west of Burketown. It has an area of 1863.2 square km (includes 10 permanently occupied outstations). DoomadgeeÌ¢âÂã¢s population of 2000 is made up primarily of Gangalidda and Waanyi peoples (traditional owners), plus people from the Gadawa, Lardil, Mingginda and Garawa tribal groupings. The Gangalidda and Waanyi peoples are the main Aboriginal groups who lived in the Doomadgee area before European settlement.
The original Mission, known as Ì¢âÂèÏOld DoomadgeeÌ¢âÂã¢ was established in 1931, approximately 100 km north of the current township. By 1936 this site was deemed unsuitable due to its remoteness and lack of reliable fresh water. The mission was moved to its present site on the Nicholson River where a number of people were already living. In 1983, the community was gazetted as a Deed of Grant in Trust community.
Doomadgee-based community services include a hospital, ambulance, health service, child care hub, womenÌ¢âÂã¢s shelter, schooling to year 10 and TAFE.
A Gulf Communities Agreement, between the nearby Pasminco Century Mine Ltd, the Queensland Government and native title groups (the Waanyi, Mingginda and Gkuthaarn and Kikatj) established the Gulf Aboriginal Development Corporation. An Aboriginal Benefits Development Trust, funded under the agreement, supports local business initiatives, such as the Doomadgee bakery and roadhouse