Walpiri Media rebroadcaster to community. Ali Curung (Alekarenge) is 22km inland travelling East from the Stuart Highway. The turnoff is 150km south of Tennant Creek. Wycliffe Wells and Wauchope are its closest neighours.
Ali Curung is a Kaiditch (Kaytetye) word meaning Ì¢âÂÒCountry of dogsÌ¢âÂå or Ì¢âÂÒDog DreamingÌ¢âÂå. The story relates to an area of land ancestral dogs visited while travelling around the country. The community adopted the emblem of a dog to signify the importance of the ceremonial story.
The people who traditionally occupied this area were Kaiditch. During the late 1950s, small groups of people were collected and relocated to Warrabri Settlement. These included Kaiditch people from Barrow Creek, Warlpiri people from Bullocky Creek areas and Alyawarra people from Murray Downs and Hatches Creek. Over 1,200 people populated Ali Curung in its early days.
Warrabri was established in 1956 under its original name of Ì¢âÂèÏWarrabri SettlementÌ¢âÂã¢. The community changed its name to Ali Curung in 1978.
There are four main language groups: Warlpiri, Warumungu, Kaiditch and Alyawarra.
Approximately 960 people currently reside in Ali Curung. Imangara community, with approximately 110 people, is closely associated with Ali Curung. Located 33km east of Ali Curung, Imangara is situated at Murray Downs Station.