DIGITAL DREAMING - FIRST NATIONS CONNECTED is the NIRS Strategic Plan formalizing the mission, aims, goals and strategies for NIRS to consolidate as well as further develop First Nations Broadcasting Services as an essential service for First Nations People and the mainstream community.
In partnership with First Nations Broadcasters, NIRS develops and delivers its broadcast services to become an essential, high quality service that respects the individuality and cultural sensitivities of First Nations Broadcasters across Australia.
The facts speak for themselves where for over a decade, NIRS has achieved the following:
- Built and maintained a national satellite radio network in support of First Australian Broadcasting.
- Facilitated an increase in understanding and knowledge of First Australian issues as presented by First Nations Broadcasters for all Australians.
- Created and maintained a facility for the distribution of programs to all Australians via our national satellite, soon to happen audio over digital TV and social media portals.
- Annually broadcast over 170,000 news stories through radio and online.
- Facilitated the production of over 1,500 hours of First Australian programs regarding news, views and issues about First Nations Peoples by First Nations Broadcasters.
- Supported over 80 First Australian Broadcasters to deliver programs for First Nations Peoples, all Australians and international audiences for news, current affairs and national events and outside broadcasts.
For over a decade, NIRS strived towards a First Nations Broadcasting and Communication Industry that meets community needs whilst addressing the community concerns for a broadcast service for each metropolitan, regional and remote community. NIRS has assisted this growth and professional development through its operation and through strong advocacy for the advancement of our Industry.
What the NIRS Board deems most significant for NIRS are the goals and strategies of this Strategic Plan that seeks to direct NIRS towards it advancement and longevity of the service within the Australian media and communications landscape. This Plan makes a tangible assessment of NIRS past, its present and future so NIRS can progress, substantially towards meeting needs and aspirations of our stakeholders. This Strategic Plan sets down the mission NIRS strives towards and describes the aims, objectives and strategies for the achievement of a First Nations Broadcasting Network commensurate with the ABC and SBS but for First Nations Peoples.
This Strategic Plan presents great possibilities, not just a First Nations Broadcasting Network, but for all First Nations Communities. With goodwill, recognition and respect, NIRS will achieve great outcomes for the health, welfare and wellbeing of our Communities through the media and communications services NIRS provides. For those who seek to join with NIRS on this journey, we look forward to working with you into the future as we strive towards achieving these Strategic Directions.